Faces of Honor
Faces of Honor – The Injured Veteran and Active Duty Project
The purpose of Faces of Honor is to offer pro bono medical and surgical expertise to veterans and active duty members who were injured while deployed in support of the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Dr. Velargo would like to personally thank veterans and active duty members for their service in the war against terrorism and essentially their service to humanity. He feels very indebted to veterans and active duty members for answering the call of our great nation as we stand up against this new and elusive enemy that will eventually be defeated.
If you are a military service member or veteran who was injured while deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan and have facial or neck injuries sustained either in combat or non-combat/support activities, you may be eligible for these services. You should, however, be able to demonstrate medical documentation of care rendered by the military for your war-related injury. This can include paperwork from Landstuhl Regional Medical Center or any other Military or VA facility.
Am I a candidate for pro bono surgery with Dr. Velargo?
The eligibility requirements are as follows:
- A veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) or Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) including the middle-east with an honorable discharge.
- Sustained a war-related face, head or neck injury (Either in combat or through combat-related/support activity).
- Member of the United States Armed Forces (or DOD eligible NATO/coalition forces) either Active Duty or Active Reserve (activated and deployed in support of OIF or OEF).
- Military Identification for Active Duty Members or Active Reserve Members
- Form DD 214 if discharged honorably from Active Duty
- Form DD 2527 (Statement of Personal Injury) if available.
- Purple Heart Citation where applicable.
- Copies of medical treatment record for related injury if available.
- Referral letter from referring physician if applicable and available.
- Complete FACES OF HONOR Form online and submit to Dr. Velargo by email (drvelargo@plastic surgerynola.com) or via fax (504-533-8848).
- Obtain the required documentation as listed above and submit along with this Application form.
- Complete authorization for release of medical records and submit to Dr. Velargo by email (drvelargo@plastic surgerynola.com) or via fax (504-533-8848).
- Contact Dr. Velargo for an appointment: (504) 533-8848.
Will my operating room and anesthesia fees be covered as part of the program?
If the procedures cannot be adequately performed under local anesthesia in his clinic procedure room, Dr. Velargo will work with local hospital surgical centers to waive or greatly reduce these fees.
Where can I learn more about Faces of Honor and Veteran support?
Contact the New Orleans Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery today to find out more about Dr. Velargo’s pro bono work with Faces of Honor.