BUCCAL FAT REDUCTION IN NEW ORLEANS
Buccal fat reduction (cheek fat removal) is a surgical procedure that removes excess fat from the cheek areas to provide a sculpted facial contour. The procedure effectively reduces chubby cheeks, which may be a result of weight gain or simply genetics.
CHEEK FAT REMOVAL EXPLAINED
This procedure includes removing or repositioning underlying fat pads in the cheek area. Refining of these pads is necessary if the cheeks are projected outwards giving the patient’s face a chubby appearance.
While it provides excellent results on its own, buccal fat reduction is often accompanied by other facial procedures like chin augmentation, cheek filler, or neck liposuction to produce the most aesthetically pleasing facial contours.
Many patients who have chubby, round or full cheeks want to achieve a sleeker facial appearance. The results not only improve cheek contours but also bring harmony to the overall facial outline.
Board-certified facial plastic surgeon Dr. Parker Velargo performs this procedure inside the mouth so there is no risk of visible scarring. He will remove an optimal amount of buccal fat volume to achieve a pleasing facial contour and enhance facial beauty.
Dr. Velargo has lectured nationally on this topic at several facial plastic surgery meetings and has recently been interviewed by Aesthetic Authority regarding his specific techniques
BENEFITS OF BUCCAL FAT REDUCTION
Cheek fat removal offers multiple benefits which include:
- Creating more cheek definition
- Improvement in facial contour
- Giving an overall slimmer lower face appearance
- Providing a boost in self-confidence
During your consultation with Dr. Velargo, he will assess your facial appearance and discuss your goals. Together, you and Dr. Velargo will devise the best surgical plan to achieve your desired outcome.
SUITABLE CANDIDATES FOR CHEEK FAT REMOVAL
The ideal candidates for buccal fat reduction include:
- Patients who have naturally chubby cheeks
- Patients with rounded cheek projection
- Patients who wish to improve their facial contour
During your consultation, Dr. Velargo will discuss the benefits of buccal fat removal along with the procedure and recovery. He will also answer your questions and address your concerns, so you will have enough information to make an informed decision.
Ready, Set, Let's Go!
Trust your face and body in the expert hands of Dr. Velargo and Dr. Hendrick. Contact us today to learn more about the cosmetic, reconstructive, and non-surgical treatments tailored just for you.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING SURGERY
Buccal fat removal is an outpatient surgery that Dr. Velargo completes in an hour or less as a standalone procedure. If done concurrently with other facial procedures the duration is longer. From inside the mouth, Dr. Velargo gently removes excess cheek fat to deliver the desired appearance outlined in your treatment plan. The result is a sleeker, sculpted facial contour without visible scarring.
Surgical Steps Include:
- Anesthesia -We will administer local anesthesia and oral sedatives for your comfort before incisions. We typically use laughing gas as well for added comfort.
- Incision -The surgery requires an incision inside your mouth, on the inner portion of your cheek.
- Closing the incisions – Sutures are used to close the incisions. These are typically absorbable sutures, and you should avoid manipulating them with your tongue during recovery.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING RECOVERY
You may experience some swelling after surgery. However, most of the swelling will diminish after two weeks. When the swelling abates, your cheek will have a more sculpted, thinner contour. Incisions inside your mouth will take approximately 7 days to heal. You may need to limit your diet to liquids and soft foods during the first few days of recovery.
Specific instructions from Dr. Velargo will include:
- How to care for your incisions
- Oral medications to take and medicated mouthwash to use to aid in healing and reduce any risk of infection
- Follow up appointments
Buccal Fat Removal FAQS
Although there is no age limit to cheek fat reduction, many patients begin to lose facial volume starting in their twenties. Before considering removing facial fat pads, you must consider the possibility of additional volume loss when the patient is older. This loss may cause a gaunt facial appearance if overresection of buccal fat is performed.
- Like all surgeries, buccal fat reduction comes with risks and potential complications. Although extremely rare they include:
- Nerve Damage
- Unwanted depressions in the cheeks
- Hematoma/ bleeding
- Irregularities / asymmetries
Yes, however, if there is significant weight gain after the procedure, this may increase cheek volume.
When considering cheek fat reduction surgery, you should do your homework when choosing a surgeon. Although it is legal for any physician with a medical license to perform the procedure, you should seek the services of a board-certified facial plastic surgeon like Dr. Velargo. They have extensive training in facial anatomy, reconstructive surgery, and are abreast of the latest techniques and technologies. They also must adhere to the highest ethical standards.