You’ve dropped the weight… congratulations! Now it’s time to finish your weight loss transformation. Cosmetic surgery after weight loss can help you achieve the body you’ve always wanted. You’ve put a lot of effort into dropping the pounds; reward yourself with a brand new body.
Do I Need Cosmetic Surgery After Weight Loss?
Many patients who lose a substantial amount of weight will need cosmetic surgery to achieve their ideal body. Even after the fat is gone, the stretched out skin remains. This isn’t just an aesthetic problem. Many patients find the extra skin uncomfortable. It can make it difficult to find clothing that fits. Skin folds can gather sweat and in some cases develop an odor or even infection. Excess skin can also make exercise difficult (and regular exercise is an important tool for keeping that weight off).
Cosmetic surgery isn’t just for the patients that have dropped hundreds of pounds. Even a moderate weight loss can be complemented by cosmetic surgery. Whether you’ve dropped 20 pounds or 200, come see us. We can evaluate your body and recommend procedures to achieve the body you’ve always wanted.
What Procedures Are Common After Weight Loss
We offer a wide variety of surgical procedures to complement your weight loss. Check out a few patient favorites after weight loss.
- Body Lift– If you’ve lost a lot of weight, you might have stretched out, excess skin. A body lift can remove this extra skin and reshape the body for a slimmer, more contoured look. A body lift usually consists of several different surgical procedures (some performed simultaneously, some scheduled later) including liposuction, tummy tuck, thigh lift, arm lift, breast lift, breast augmentation, etc. We’ll create a customized surgical plan based on your needs.
- Liposuction– Many people think of liposuction as a weight loss tool, but in reality the surgery isn’t intended for dropping pounds. It is used to reshape and contour areas. Even after losing weight, you might have stubborn fat pockets that remain. Liposuction can remove this stubborn fat from areas like the abdomen, thighs, love handles, etc. If you have fat that has stuck around even after weight loss, liposuction might be the key to your ideal body.
- Breast Surgery– Weight loss can take its toll on the breasts. Breasts can lose volume and become saggy after losing weight. A breast lift (often combined with breast augmentation) can restore your womanly figure and give you an added boost of confidence.
- Tummy Tuck– After losing a lot of weight or having a baby, the abdominal section can become misshapen. A tummy tuck can remove this excess fat and skin for a flatter stomach and smaller waistline. It also tightens abdominal muscles which may become stretched out. Many women choose to have this surgery after they’ve finished having children. Men and women also opt for tummy tucks after losing a large amount of weight. We typically recommend that patients wait until they are close to their ideal weight before having the surgery.
- Facelift– After substantial weight loss the skin and soft tissues on the face may begin to sag. Some patients say that they look as though their face is “melting off”. A facelift can restore facial tissues to their natural placement for a rejuvenated look. The facial muscles are surgically tightened, the skin is redraped, and excess skin is removed. Many patients choose to pair this with a neck lift.
- Neck Lift– Loose, sagging skin in the neck is often a problem after massive weight loss. A neck lift can remove this extra skin and re-drape the remaining neck tissue in a natural manner. If needed, additional liposuction can be performed simultaneously to further contour the neck and jawline. Dr. Velargo can also address any “banding” in the neck area during this surgery.
Why Choose New Orleans Center?
There are many places that offer the surgeries listed above, but when you come to the New Orleans Center for Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery you get the distinct advantage of two surgeons with different specialties. Dr. Hendrick focuses on body plastic surgery while Dr. Velargo focuses on facial plastic surgery. When you come here, each surgeon can offer their expertise and treatment simultaneously. For patients that have lost a significant amount of weight and are in need of multiple procedures, a combination procedure with both doctors working together has the advantages of being safer (less anesthetic time), more cost effective (only one OR and anesthesia fee), and has less downtime than separating the procedures in stages. Dr. Hendrick and Dr. Velargo work closely together and are dedicated to working closely with their patients to get them looking great and feeling better about themselves.
Celebrate your weight loss with cosmetic enhancement. Call us today and schedule your consultation.