BioCorneum® Scar Gel
BioCorneum® is a quick drying, patented silicone gel that creates an invisible silicone sheet over the scar and is FDA cleared. The invisible protective barrier is breathable, flexible, waterproof, and the only silicone scar gel that provides protection from the sun.
BioCorneum® binds with the stratum corneum (the outer layer of skin cells) to protect the underlying tissue against chemical, microbial and physical invasion of the scar. BioCorneum® hydrates the scarred area and creates an environment which allows the scar to mature through normal collagen synthesis cycles and improves the physiological and cosmetic appearance of the scar. Sun may hamper proper healing of scars and the SPF 30 UV protection ingredients in BioCorneum® may protect the maturing scar from the darkening effects of sun exposure, a feature unique to BioCorneum® as it is the only patented silicone scar treatment of this kind. Drs. Hendrick’s and Velargo’s scar management plan incorporates the patented silicone formulation in BioCorneum® because it has been shown to help prevent abnormal scarring after procedures as well as help to flatten, soften, and smooth scars, reduce discoloration, as well as relieve associated itch, pain and discomfort of scars.
How BioCorneum® will enhance your scar management:
- Self-dries to form a transparent, flexible sheet within 4-5 minutes
- Softens and flattens raised scars
- Reduces redness and discoloration
- Relieves associated itch and discomfort
- SPF 30 UV protection ingredients may protect scars from sun-induced erythema (redness) and discoloration
- Once dry, cosmetics may be applied
- Ideal for the face, neck, chest, hands, and any other area exposed to the sun
- BioCorneum® forms a thin silicone flexible sheet that is perfect to be used on flexures, joints, irregular surfaces, as well as large area scars
BioCorneum is only available at our office. We carry two sizes for your convenience: 20gm or 50gm tubes. It is available for purchase without a prescription. For more information or pricing inquiries, please call us at the New Orleans Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery.